As a gardener, one of your main tasks is to feed your plants with water. Almost on a daily basis, especially when the weather is hot, a hose will be among your primary gardening maintenance tools.
A typical hose can prove a real headache as well as dragging them along and untangle the knots they form themselves into.
Technology has brought the expandable hoses to the fray. They make your task easy and enjoyable.
What Makes Expandable Hoses so Attractive
The first thing that makes the expandable hoses so good is their ease of use. They quickly expand up to five times the standard size when the water is turned on.
They retract back when you turn the water off, and you deal with a smaller and lighter hose – such joy! They will not kink or tangle to your dismay and are quite easy to store – will not take much space.
How to Choose a Good Expandable Hose
Not all the options on the market are the best. Every manufacturer claims they are a cut above the rest for one reason or another and this can prove confusing for you. However, there are several factors that you can consider to help you in your decision making process.
- Purpose: Light usage may require a smaller hose – you can move your vehicle closer to the spigot, for example. The goal for which you will be using it will determine whether you go for a durable hose – a much expensive one to withstand dragging and constant use.
- Storage location: standard hoses can be left lying around for convenience purposes. If you need it to wash the vehicle, you just get it, attach to the water source, and you are on with your washing.However, expandable hoses require you to determine the storage location beforehand. Somewhere away from direct sunlight, with sufficient airflow – where you can hang to dry like your clothing – and away from kids and pets.
The material is not the same as your typical everyday hose, and so you must think of storage when choosing the right one.
- Weather conditions: expandable hoses and a freezing weather are not a good mix. Water can get trapped inside, and the resulting freezing can make it crack and damage.If your area seldom freezes, then you are good to use the expandable as many times as you wish. The key is here is to let it dry out – have someplace where you can hang it to dry.
- Material: the material of a product goes hand in hand with the price. Of course, you cannot expect it to be long-lasting when you paid half the price. The amount you are willing to invest will in most cases tell you whether the hose is quality material or not.A good quality option is made from materials that meet the best manufacturing standards and will not come cheap. The saying ‘cheap is expensive’ also applies here. Don’t compromise on quality.
- Water pressure: expandable hoses are built to take a decent amount of pressure – of course, this is the only way that they work. The pressure in most homes is adequate for practical working.However, if the water pressure is at negligible levels, then you may need to find a way of raising it. There are some places where this pressure is too high to take the hose apart with time.
It is always important to check the pressure of the particular hose you intend to buy and consider whether it is consistent with the pressure you have at your home. Alternatively, you can always go for a pressure regulator to protect the hose. There are also resources online which can help you determine your flow rate.
- Guidelines: most hoses come with a set of instructions to ensure safe and optimal use. While many of these guidelines are similar, it is always good to make sure they are clear and specific to your choice.It goes without saying that different materials require different handling and care. All this information is contained in a guideline manual or booklet.
- Warranty: quality products have a relatively more extended warranty – something about the manufacturers having faith in their products. Even the best of the best can come with some defect, and a warranty protects adequately – it safeguards against risks of inferior quality products.
A Review of the Top Expandable Hoses
This is one of the best expandable hoses in the market, and the rave reviews the product gets is proof of this. With layers of latex tubing, this Zikke expandable hose demonstrates a high level of durability to withstand a 12 bar pressure and constant usage. It is compact, light and will never twist or kink under any condition. This hose expandable up to three times its original size. This makes it easier to store and use for whatever activity that needs water – gardening and the like. It also has durable fittings that don’t crack or chip.
- three layers of latex tubing durable material
- Does not kink or twist
- Durable brass fittings
- Suitable for a big range of environmental conditions
- May not be appropriate in freezing conditions
When it comes to gardening equipment, you need tools that will withstand abuse and constant usage. This expandable hose pretty much fits the bill and has a lengthy service of use which is about twice that of the standard hoses. The interior is non-kink rubber, and the outside is double webbing to withstand high water pressure. This material together with brass fittings makes a long-lasting combo for a hose. It expands up to three times the original size making sure that you reach the spot you need to when watering.
- Expands up to three times
- Made of durable material to withstand water pressure and constant abuse
- It is versatile and can use it in a variety of activities
- Comes with a top quality multifunctional spray gun
- The hose is pretty lightweight
- The flow rate may not be the best
- The spray gun quality and brass fittings can be better
This expandable hose has everything that you may require from it. In other words, it is lightweight, functional, durable and flexible – pretty much everything, almost. The sprayer, latex pipe, and other accessories are all built to last. This product also carries a flexible design that can easily expand up to three times in length and take a considerable amount of water pressure – up to 12 bars.
- A lightweight and durable hose
- Brass fittings, connectors, and the sprayer are all high quality
- Flexible design to stretch up to three times the original design
- Can withstand up to 12 bars of water pressure
- Has a functional nozzle
- Easy to store
- May have a leaking problem after months of use
- May not be the best of quality
One standout feature you notice about this hose is the fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty – what better way is there to indicate quality? The expandable hose is made from sturdy rubber inner core brass connectors and quality nylon webbing for durability. It is also lightweight and will not prove a burden to carry to the spot that you need it. The product will not kink, tangle or knot like the ordinary hoses that you have lying around in your homestead and which are a significant source of a headache.
- Durable material and brass fittings
- Does not kink, tangle or knot
- Lightweight and easy to use
- A functional nozzle included – eight patterns
- Has a double layer construction for added ruggedness
- Not completely weatherproof
Unlike other products, this expandable hose comes as a set for your convenience and ease of use – includes a storage bag. This expandable is all three layers of latex core for durability and high level of flexibility. The brass fittings complete the picture of a genuinely rugged hose that easily withstands the test of time. Furthermore, this hose comes with an advanced nozzle sprayer that has nine patterns to suit your spraying needs.
- Triple layer latex core for flexibility and durability
- Brass fitting for ruggedness
- Highly flexible for ease of use
- Comes with a convenient storage bag
- Advanced nozzle sprayer with nine patterns
- May wear and tear pretty quickly under constant use
Without a doubt, expandable hoses have made it easy to water your plants or do other tasks where you need to use water. They are light, easy to use, and can be packed in a small space. An expendable hose is one convenient tool that every gardener should have in their storeroom.
From the expandable hose review, you will have to admit that the Deluxe Expandable Garden Watering Hose – Zikke is one of the best expandable hoses around. In addition to the stated qualities, this hose has brass fittings and three layers of latex tubing for maximum durability. And if that’s not all, this hose has strong environmental suitability.