Indoor plantation has been a source of adornment for ages. These plant friends help us to curb our inborn love for greenery. Apart from this, we get to enjoy the feeling of taking care of some living being. There are abundant varieties of different house plants. However, we have made a little effort to introduce you to some of the popular, low-maintenance modern indoor plant babies. Let us have a look at the top modern indoor plants along with their basic requirements.
The ‘Money plant’ is one of the most common, attractive and easy to grow domestic plant. The heart-shaped green leaves with white to yellowish splashed patterns make it treat for the eye. This is a quick-growing plant climber. You can make beautiful hanging baskets, water jars and terrestrial pots. Moreover, it goes to form a beautiful plant piece around pole support. The ‘Devil’s ivy’ grows and spreads crazily long and may get above 5 feet tall in favourable conditions.
- Water the plant thoroughly once or twice in a week in summer. In winter, once in every 7 to 14 days will be enough.
- It can do well in any light form including bright indirect light to partial shade. The ideal time to propagate and prune is in spring and summer.
The macodes plant is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful modern indoor plants. The dark green heart-shaped leaves have a unique lime-green venation. These veins have a specific shining or light-reflecting ability, making the plant look nothing less than out of this world. With an average height of about 20cm, this plant is an excellent choice to make pots for your shelves, windows, and tables.
- This plant loves moist soil. Follow a routine to water right after the soil gets about 70% dry. Just make sure you avoid over-watering and soggy soil.
- Keep it at a place with bright indirect light.
Patolas are humidity lovers. A humidifier or a pebble-water tray serves best to maintain adequate moisture, especially in dry days.
3. Snake Plant:
This African and Asian native is one of the toughest indoor plants and perfect for lazy peeps. It is typically hard to kill unless you overwater it. The resistance towards water shortage and different light conditions including shade makes it perfect for offices and shady basements. In addition, it purifies the air and removes toxins. The plane has long, pointed dark-green leaves with striped patterns and can reach up to a height of about 2meter. There are many different plants in this genus Sansevieria, which are popular as houseplants.
- Water the plant after the soil gets completely dry.
- Place in indirect light and fertilize in warm days.
4. Monstera delicosa:
The Monstera delicosa, popularly known as the Swiss cheese plant has won all the limelight on e-world. The dark green leaves with frilled cut patterns make it a centre of attraction. This unique foliage and low-maintenance make it attractive and easy enough to beautify any place in your home or office. This is a natural climber and would do great with a support or a totem inside the pot. The average indoor height remains under 2 feet.
- The basic strategy is to water the plant once the upper layer of the soil gets dry. This makes a schedule of about twice to thrice in summer and once a week in winter. Make sure you avoid over-watering as it leads to root rot.
- These plants like to stay warm in indirect bright light to partial shade. Direct light exposure may burn the delicate foliage.
5. Philodendron Jungle Boogie:
Philodendrons are a vast category of different plants with unique and diverse appearances. One of them is the Jungle Boogie, with its large dark-green, frilled leaves. The plant usually reaches a height of 1 to 2 feet.
- These plants usually need watering right after the soil gets dry.
- Bright indirect light matches well with these beauties.
This name includes a wide range of unique, attractive and drought-tolerant plants. These are like the low-maintenance friends that can survive well without complaining about all your neglect. You can select any plant according to your taste and schedule. A well-maintained collection of unique cactus plants is a sure eye-candy for your surroundings. However, these plants have ‘thorny’ bodies. Thus, you strictly need to keep them away from kids and pets.
- Water the plant when the soil gets completely dry.
- The sunlight exposure depends upon the type of cactus you are selecting. They go well with a direct bright light to partial shade.
Many of my favourite plants fall under this wide category of uniquely beautiful plants. No person with the slightest of a pleasant taste can dislike or ignore them. These plants are decorative enough to add a touch of class your area. They are available in diverse forms and you can select any plant according to its appearance and size.
- The fleshy leaves can hold water. Water the soil generously and leave to let the soil get dry between watering.
- Bright indirect light and fertilization in warm days are ideal for these beautiful plants.
8. Ponytail Palm:
The large number of thin lace-like plants coming out of a single brown rhizome does the justice to its name. It remains under 1 foot in length and is ideal for a container or a pot. According to botanical classification, these plants are succulents and not palms by nature.
- Just like succulents, wait for the soil to get dry for watering.
- They go well with medium to bright indirect light.
9. Alovera Plant:
Nobody is unfamiliar with this popular plant with all its medicinal and cosmetic value. The dark green long and pointed leaves may remain under 1 foot in length. These plants are also thorny, thus keep them away from kids and pets.
- Water the plants after the soil gets dry. Moreover, always avoid over-watering.
- Bright indirect light is suitable for these plants.
10. Rubber plant:
The Ficus elastic with its waxy dark green and brownish leaves makes a beautiful indoor tree. This plant adjusts its size small from a pot plant or a tall tree, depending on the space available. The plant can tolerate a range of temperatures which makes it a ‘tough’ indoor guy.
- Water about once or twice a week in summer and once in two weeks in colder days.
- Place the plant in bright indirect light.
Nature has blessed us with copious varieties of unique and diverse indoor plants. You need to match the plant with your taste, interior and the time you can provide to pamper these babies. Besides many others, the best modern indoor plants include the Money plant, Macodes patola and the philodendrons. We hope this article helps you out in getting your desired plant partner. Happy planting!