People give flowers to communicate love, give thanks, express condolences after a loss, or say sorry. Fresh, fragrant, and beautiful flowers elicit an emotional response from anyone receiving them. But the emotions may vary, depending on the type of flower one is sending out.
Whether you’re sending to the states or a Caribbean island like Jamaica, it is important you make the right choice.
That’s why it is essential to think about it before sending flowers to someone carefully.
How To Select The Best Flowers For An Occasion
If you are thinking to send flowers out to a loved one during a particular occasion, then here is a detailed guide to help you:
• Valentine’s Day: The best flower for Valentine’s Day is the rose. Its vivid pinks and sheds of red symbolize passion and romance. You can present roses as a single stem or as a small bunch.
• Mother’s Day: On Mother’s Day, you should pick flowers that show how much you cherish and appreciate your mother. You can buy a bouquet of bright, vibrant roses, carnations, lilies, chrysanthemums, and Gerbera daisies.
• Congratulations: You may want to congratulate someone on graduation, securing a new job, or buying a house. In that case, you should choose a bouquet of colorful and scented flowers, depending on the time of the year.
• A New Baby: Fresh flowers symbolize new life and serve to welcome a new baby while offering warm wishes to the parents. Instead of presenting a different bouquet, carry a gift bag full of flowers the first time you see the baby.
• Engagement: During an engagement ceremony, try matching the flowers to the couple’s personality. It will help if you choose pale flowers since they symbolize wishes of good luck for the future.
• Birthdays: While you can ask your loved one to tell you about their favorite flowers, you could also choose one associated with the birth month. It could be carnations (January), violet (February, daffodil (March), daisy (April), lilies (May), roses (June), larkspur (July), gladiolus (August), aster (September), marigold (October), chrysanthemum (November), and poinsettia (December).
• Wedding Anniversary: Learn to give different flowers on wedding anniversaries. The choices may vary depending on the number of years the couple has been married.
What To Look For When Buying Flowers
Regardless of the occasion, buying flowers is an elaborate process that doesn’t involve shortcuts. An attempt to cut corners may result in you not having the right bouquet. Here are things to look for when buying flowers:
1. Find Out How They Were Grown
Flowers come from some garden. That’s why you should find out from the florist where they sourced the flowers and how they were grown. What products did the gardener use to enhance the flowers? That will help you determine how long you can expect the flowers to last once you have presented them to the recipient.
2. Inspect The Petals For Freshness
You can know if the flowers are still fresh by inspecting the petals. The presence of black or brown spots signifies that either the cutting is erroneous or the flowers aren’t new enough. Also, check for wilted, discolored, or transparent petals, which indicates the bouquet is not fresh. That would mean looking for another shop where the flowers are fresher.
3. Check The Bulbs
Flower bouquets often come with fully bloomed bulbs and those that are yet to bloom. Therefore, tight buds indicate that the flower is fresh, meaning that the bulbs will open up much later. That’s good if you want the bouquet to stay for a few days. However, if the flowers are for an occasion happening the same day, choose those in full bloom.
4. Look At The Stems
Fresh flowers often have sturdy and firm stems. Broken or bent stems mean you won’t have the flowers for long before they start wilting. Also, you should check that the stems still look green and white and look freshly cut. If the branches appear frayed, browning, or yellowing, don’t pick those flowers. You won’t have them for long before they start wilting.
5. Choose The In-Season Flowers
Flowers are likely to be fresh off-the-shelf if they are in season. Since they are widely available at the time of buying, they will also be cheaper. Besides, they will last longer, especially and keep reminding your loved ones of your sentiments. However, modern gardeners grow their flowers in greenhouses, availing various types all year long.
You don’t have to be an expert florist to buy fresh flowers for the right occasion. All you need to do is to follow the steps we have discussed above. Alternatively, you may ask the florist to pick the freshest flowers from their stock. Since you expect them to be honest in their business, they will choose the best possible flowers for you. And you will present the flowers to your loved ones and make their day.